Back to entries
Author Subject:  Eurovision Song Contest
NetRoam
Webmaster
Administrator

Profile Visit homepage Posts
Posted 26-05-02 - 03:17 PM
Hey everyone!

Did you see the Eurovision Song Contest last night? Please state your remarks about it here ... I will later on as I get time for it ... for now I'll just say that I'm disappointed - not because Denmark got relegated, but because the people of Europe constantly vote for their neighbours!

Anyway, state your comments here, please :)

/// NetRoam
webmaster
1st Reply
Chrissan
Posted 26-05-02 - 10:11 PM
Hi.

I think ESC sucks!! There is noone who votes for the song, just the country!
There, I've said what I think about it...

"Wrong song won"

///Chrissan
Swedish assistant and translator
2nd Reply
A.T.L.
Banned: 1 time(s)

Posted 27-05-02 - 12:29 AM
I wanted SWEDEN !!!!!!!
AFRODITE RULEZ!!!

see ya
Arjen
3rd Reply
NetRoam
Webmaster
Administrator

Posted 27-05-02 - 01:17 PM
You have got to be kidding me, A.T.L. ... Sweden wasn't good on the night and they certainly didn't deserve to win ... I was glad it didn't.

No no, I voted for the country, Denmark twice in a row gave 12 points to and that was Malta ... great song, great performance ... I thought it was robbery that she should lose to that loser-song from Latvia.

For some reason I think they should change the name from "Eurovision Song Contest" to "Eurovision Stage Contest" (they could use the same acronym, ESC), because the past 2 years (in Copenhagen and in Tallinn), it hasn't been the best song that won, but who made the best stage performance, and it should be about that.

Also ... as I mentioned before ... I think the contest has become way too political, and I really think they should consider changing the rules from now on ... I mean, come on, Cyprus giving that Terminator-song from Greece 12 points ... what has the world come to? The Yugoslavian countries weren't much better either - not to talk about the Baltic.

Anyway, I guess we can't do much else than just stand and watch while the Eastern Bloc countries go ruin the real concept of the Eurovision.

That's just my thoughts of it all ... negative thoughts, but that's allowed too :)

/// NetRoam
webmaster
4th Reply
Myra
Reporter
Assistant

Posted 27-05-02 - 06:47 PM
hi!

I wasn't able to see the contest, I happen to be in a place where there is only one TV (the next one would be 10km away...) and as this country is Turkey, that TV was set to football. But to my thoughts... since I can't say anything about any song (except the Finnish song which I'm surprised it got any points, actually..) I can't say if it was the right song to win..

...but we were talking about ESC a lot with some friends, about the politics beyond the scene. I also agree that the competition is too much about politics.. but the thing that something like Cyprus would give votes for Greece (and Turkey..?) is also cause the genre of the music they like is more similar to those than to anything from Scandinavia for example. That's forgotten a bit too often.

anyway, I can return to the subject later.. right now this computer is driving me crazy, so I'll go and learn some more of nice Turkish games...

///Myra
5th Reply
Flasher T
Posted 27-05-02 - 07:06 PM
I agree with Myra, it's natural that people give votes to their neighbours because the cultures are similar and so are the tastes. But of course there is the matter of promotion: I guarantee you that Russia would have never received two 10-point places from the Baltic countries without some very heavy promotion.

Also Netroam, how do you feel about Sweden giving Estonia 12 points simply because our singer is Swedish?

Personally I didn't find neither the Latvian nor the Maltese song very good, and not the Estonian one either. I voted for Spain.

Yes, it is a performance contest rather than a music contest because in most countries it's the people who vote, not musical professionals. I think it's completely fair, actually. For example: Malta had the smallest team - one person. She didn't even have her own band with her. And Sahlene just stood there and sang, and got third. So it's quite possible for any country to put on a decent act, or have a decent song, and get a high place regardless. I think the reason why Latvia was able to put on such a good show was because it's close to Estonia, so there was no problem in bringing a lot of people to the concert or taking a lot of time out of their lives.

Generally I think that everyone should just CHILL... What's done is done, the ESC was thoroughly enjoyable this year, and I think everyone should be happy for Latvia. It's not like Denmark hasn't had its share of ESC success ;)
6th Reply
NetRoam
Webmaster
Administrator

Posted 27-05-02 - 09:07 PM
I don't quite agree with you, Flasher!

It's of course possible that neighbours vote for each other because they have the same culture and such, but everyone who saw the show this saturday would agree with me that Greece's Terminator song was absolutely horrifying to listen to, and they still got 12 from Cyprus. As I said political vote!

>> Also Netroam, how do you feel about Sweden giving Estonia 12 points simply because our singer is Swedish?

Well, part of the reason can be because the singer was Swedish, I have to admit, but I can also see why they got the 12 points ... simply because it was an amazing performance, nice singer and a great song - in my opinion! So it could easily have been another reason for giving the 12 points.

>> I think the reason why Latvia was able to put on such a good show was because it's close to Estonia, so there was no problem in bringing a lot of people to the concert or taking a lot of time out of their lives.

I think that's a weak allegation to say ... so what if Latvia is close to Estonia - did you know the prices they took for a ticket? Does a lot of Latvians have that kind of money? Besides, Marija Naumova and her dancers shouldn't need a lot of fellow Latvians in the audience to make a good performance ... maybe the Latvians that were there had a little impact but certainly not a great deal!

Anyway, I thought the Latvian song was too standard and too latino for my taste ... but again ... obviously the stage performance gave them the position they got. Just like Germany got 5th place in 2000 and just how Estonia won in 2001.

I may sound a bit unreasonable but that's how I think about it all.

It might be that Denmark has had our share of ESC success, but I still think that relegation is pushing it too far over the edge. A 10th or 12th place would have been fine for me, but 24th and relegation? Last time we were relegated was in 1998, so I really think that it wasn't our time again so soon.

/// NetRoam
webmaster
7th Reply
Flasher T
Posted 28-05-02 - 09:29 AM
Actually I meant that Latvia managed to bring a good stage team, I think they were the only team that had an actual performance rather than a singer, backup vocals and/or a band.
8th Reply
Myra
Reporter
Assistant

Posted 29-05-02 - 10:35 AM
so so... are you taking this a bit too seriously...?

in case someone thought, I didn't mean that the points would all be because of similar cultures. But I have actually heard people here talking about the competition, and it seems that the Turks liked the song of Greece. it's only a few people I've asked, but.. as I said, I will have to hear the song first.

So we won't see Denmark there next year? Well... we won't see Finland there either. you know, Finland comes there only once in two years.. ;) always. I don't remember when Finland would have been in the contest two times following eachother.. (that is mostly cause the people choose the song.. and usually they chose completely different than the professional jury...)

anyway... the ESC is not such a big deal to me, so I'm just laughing at the Finnish songs. You know, every time they are sure that "this year we have such a great song that it will be a hit!" and every time it is "Finland, zero points, la Finlande, 0 poing" (don't remember zero in French.. )

HAHAHAHA!

///Myra
9th Reply
Flasher T
Posted 30-05-02 - 09:55 AM
Hehehe... There were some Finnish fans in the crowd this year with a giant banner that read Suomen Aika Voita, lol
10th Reply
Rainbow
Assistant

Posted 31-05-02 - 05:49 PM
Hey folks!

Ha-ha! I must confess I also seemed to like that “horrible Terminator song” most of all! :P Too bad I didn’t listen to it attentively enough ‘cause I was still saying good-bye to people in the chat. So is there perhaps something oriental in my taste? ;)))

Maria
11th Reply
A.T.L.
Banned: 1 time(s)

Posted 31-05-02 - 07:13 PM
You were too much talking to me ... eeuh ... I was talking too much to you ... SORRY "Rainbow" ... my excuses ... grinnik ...

see ya
Arjen
12th Reply
magnuscarlsson
Posted 10-06-02 - 02:14 AM
Greece also look like Robocop !!
My favorites were Afro-Dite (Sweden) & Sahlene (Estonia)
13th Reply
Djablo2001
Posted 14-06-02 - 04:38 PM
hhmmm...it seems like none of all of you know that Sahlene is actually swedish =0oo....
14th Reply
NetRoam
Webmaster
Administrator

Posted 14-06-02 - 04:51 PM
Read the 6th reply I wrote ... I did write that Sahlene is Swedish ... did you miss that, djablo???

/// NetRoam
webmaster
Back to entries

Go to top of page