» Sign guestbook

Interactive  [Message Board]
Back to entries
Author Subject:  EuroIVEver
Andy
Profile Visit homepage Posts
Posted 27-02-03 - 06:40 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but:

I don't understand, were there two versions of EuroIVEver released??? One that had an original Africa recording, and another that had the Radio Edit on it??? Or was there only one????

1st Reply
Flasher T
Posted 27-02-03 - 06:46 PM
EuroIVEver contains the original version of Africa. The Radio Edit was used for the video and included on the CD single.
2nd Reply
Andy
Posted 27-02-03 - 07:06 PM // Updated 27-02-03 - 07:10 PM
WOW. Then the copy that I recently picked up is a VERY Rare one. I had the original, but I recently found one that has Africa (Radio Edit) on it NOT the Original Version. IOP Radio Edit is better.

And I am sure it's not a bootleg. On the Back of the DISC itself it's inprinted "Made in Germany by Universal". A bootleg would not have that, it's too costly/unnecessary to duplicate that.

Weird Huh??!!!
3rd Reply
Flasher T
Posted 27-02-03 - 09:28 PM
1) It's not too complicated to put the Universal logo on a bootleg copy...

2) I have no idea why Universal would print the disks in Germany instead of Sweden.

3) How did you get the CD? AFAIK they were never officially sold in the States.
4th Reply
Andy
Posted 27-02-03 - 11:44 PM // Updated 27-02-03 - 11:49 PM
You're correct. E-type CDs are not released in US. I bought mine on E-Bay.

There is a sticker on the Jewelcase that says "Contains the Hits Life and Africa", now that's something that only record companies do, Bootlegers don't go that far.

The ENGRAVING on the disc that says "Made in Germany by Universal" I guess could be duplicated, but no one who makes bootlegs goes that far either.

There are about 6 pages in the Booklet with lyrics and pictures of nature (and I think a picture of Dee). I don't have it with me now, but I think there are no pictures of E-Type (except on the Cover). Bootlegs usually do not have so many pages.

I am pretty sure it's not a Bootleg. BUT the "Radio Edit", and "Made in Gemany" engraving are WEIRD. Maybe it's a promo Copy, and disc might be manufactured in Germany for Universal.

:-)
5th Reply
Flasher T
Posted 28-02-03 - 10:41 AM
I'll have a look at my copy when I get back to Tallinn this evening, BUT:

1) My copy didn't have a sticker on the case, and there honestly is no reason why a bootlegger can't make a sticker and put it on;

2) IIRC the booklet just contained the lyrics; check to see if there are lyrics for Loneliness. They were missing from the booklet, even though there is a separate page for them and the title is printed on it.

3) Bootleggers do usually print the non-readable surface of a CD, not much of a technical problem putting the Universal stuff on there.
6th Reply
Andy
Posted 28-02-03 - 11:13 AM // Updated 28-02-03 - 11:14 AM
I asked the girl in New York from whom I bought the CD. She is not Russian (American Name), and she does not sell any other Rare Euro albums. People that sell Bootlegs of imports, usually sell a lot of them.

She told me she got the CD (justl like many of her other CDs), from a friend who works for Universal Studios in NYC.

The CD is at my work, I will take a better look at it today.

:-)
7th Reply
Andy
Posted 01-03-03 - 06:28 AM // Updated 01-03-03 - 06:46 AM
Ok
1. Yes it's the same, "Loneliness" has only songwriting credits, but NO lyrics, but there is a space for the lyrics. (The booklet has about 6 pages front and back, so that's like 12)

2. The UPC numbers are different on the two versions.
The Swedish Version's UPC number is 044001635526 (that's the one that most people have).

Now, the other version's UPC code is 044001773228.

3. The same UPC code 017-73-2 appears on the black sticker that says "Includes the hit singles Life and Africa". That same UPC code is also on the back of the booklet, and it is also ENGRAVED on the back of the Disc.

Bootlegs are just copies. No one creates a new UPC code, engraves it on the disc, creates a sticker with a Stockhold Records logo, and puts the UPC code on that sticker. And why would somebody engrave "Made in Germany" on the back of the Disc and put a Radio Edit instead of the Original. Why not just copy the original? Bootlegs do not even have all the pages in the booklet. But this one does.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has that copy of EuroIVEver with the Africa (Radio Version) and that UPC code on it. On the back of the CD Case and on the back of the Booklet it even says Africa feat. Na Na (Radio Version) 3.53 as opposed to the Original which is only 3.38 minutes. I think it's pretty cool.

8th Reply
Andy
Posted 01-03-03 - 06:37 AM // Updated 01-03-03 - 06:39 AM
Oh YEAH. I contacted the Inernational Contact person at Stockholm Records (Karin Lundberg, got it from E-type.se site), and here is exactly what she said:....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks alot for your email.

The album was made in Germany and it is the same version that was released in Sweden.

Kind regards,
Karin

Fax: +46 8 662 81 60
www.stockholmrecords.com
THE KLERKS ALBUM PREVIEW
Don't miss the release of The Klerks' self titled debut album on January 20th. Use this link to enjoy some of the tracks that can be found on the CD.

<http://www.stockholmrecords.com/info.asp?personType=10&personId=116>;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End
Obviously she is not a Big E-Type fan, because the German copy has a different version of Africa :-)))))

9th Reply
Flasher T
Posted 01-03-03 - 09:04 AM
Ok, cool.

I looked at my copy, and there isn't really a Universal logo anywhere. The only mention of Universal is in the booklet, with something like "Thanks to Universal Norway, Denmark and Finland for all the good work they do". All the copyrights are to Stockholm Records. The CD itself appears to have been printed at DCM Sweden.

Who'd have thought they would make a diff. release?
10th Reply
Andy
Posted 01-03-03 - 03:23 PM // Updated 01-03-03 - 03:26 PM
You can buy both versions on this British website. The Barcode UPC codes are different and both match the copies that I have, and the German one is actualy a lot Cheaper than the Swedish release (14.85 as opposed to 22.15 pounds). They are one of the few places that seem to have Both versions. Here is a direct link:

http://search.cdzone.co.uk/cgibin/cdzwww.cgi?1,Find,searchform,A32198CF24544A825DBA1FEE10DCA7B0!

I don't know what the deal is with the one made in Germany. I don't think EuroIVEver was even released in Germany. That is Strange :-O

Actually, skivhugget.se is the best place to buy any E-Type albums, or maybe bengans.se
11th Reply
Flasher T
Posted 01-03-03 - 07:02 PM
22 quid for a CD? They're mad. The standard price is E15.
Back to entries

Go to top of page