Interactive  [Message Board]
Back to entries
Author Subject:  My view of latest poll results
NetRoam
Webmaster
Administrator

Profile Visit homepage Posts
Posted 27-03-06 - 03:38 PM
1½ weeks ago the latest monthly poll ended and here is a recap of what the question was about, how the results were and my reactions to the results.

The question we asked was: "What is the top priority for you when it comes to the new design of this website?"

The main reason for my asking this question was to find out what you, the users and fans of E-type's music, would want as your first choice regarding the new design I'm about to start working on. The results would then come into my consideration when I begin designing. Of course I did have an idea about it before asking the question, but I wanted to see what you wanted to have and to see what I should focus on when designing.

The results of the poll were as follows:
- A little over 30% of the votes were about user-friendliness meaning it should be easy to find the information whereas design might not be a top priority.
- 28% of you would like the website to be like it has been for the last 6 years. In a way I'm glad to see that you all like the current design so much that you want it to stay and yet again it would have been nice to know what these 28% of the votes would have voted if this option wasn't there :)
- Graphics (design) and content both got 21% of the votes

Midway through the poll I saw that most of you were more interested in a big graphical experience rather than user-friendliness which shocked me a bit. I know it could be really cool to have a flashy website that leaves the people hungry for more, but I still had a voice in my head that said user-friendliness above all. After all - why run a website if the visitors can't navigate through it? It would just leave the visitors irritated and they would most likely never come back. That's why I was a bit relieved when I saw that the majority of you wanted user-friendliness as the top priority for the site.

This has all given me a better idea of how to create the next design. Of course the design has to be something new. New logo, new colours, new way of setting up the contents, new menu structure & new and improved features. All these things should be pieces of a large puzzle which needs to be assembled.

A while ago I did come up with a new design including a bit of contents, but this design is a bit outdated now in my opinion, so I want to start out with fresh new ideas.

You are all welcome to send feedback on this update if you have comments or suggestions for a new design. Thank you in advance.

/// NetRoam
1st Reply
BlackBear
Posted 28-03-06 - 04:53 AM
I hope the new design will mean that the site will be more user friendly.. Well, I have known the site for a long time so it is not for my own sake. But for a new user it must be very hard to find the informations they are looking for. Maybe the cause of this is the design?! :) Not that it is bad at all.. but it could need a facelift..
As I have told Netroam before I think the community could be far better, so it will be easier (and more interesting) to make contact with other E-type fans who share the same interests.. Maybe a possibility to upload a foto. It could give people a better reason to make a profile..
The chat should also have more central role on the site.. Maybe with a monthly e-type fan-meeting, because as it is now the chat is.. well.. dead :P
The site should be updated before the new album is released! All the new e-type fans should know that http://www.etype.dk is the best e-type on the net :D

I don't know if it is just me, but i'm looking forward to a new and better e-type.dk! We need more danish fans :D

sry for my bad english :P

Euro4ever..
2nd Reply
NetRoam
Webmaster
Administrator

Posted 04-04-06 - 09:11 AM
I couldn't agree with you more, BlackBear. I know this current design has been online for 6 years now and it sure could need a facelift. The current design also lacks a certain part of user-friendliness which I very much would like to improve with the new design. The community itself is too stale - it isn't interesting to become a community-member as the only thing the users will get is access to use the forum, a way to write messages to other E-type fans which they might not be able to find that easily, and it assures them their nickname in the chat-room which is quite empty anyway. The community isn't really that user-friendly either seeing as how the way to access the community is like it has been thrown into the design where we could spare a bit of space and that isn't the ideal way of doing so. That's why the community should have a central role in the new design, so people can be intrigued and interested in signing up in order to use the extra features that we can offer. There should also be even more features in the community for people to use - for example the opportunity to upload a profile photo and more. I have a lot of ideas for that, so don't worry about that :)

As I wrote in the first message - I actually did come up with a design for the website a while ago and started putting contents into it, but now I feel it is quite outdated and I want to make something fresh. I'm just all out of fresh new ideas as of now, so if any of you have seen any cool websites that they thought would help me in my quest for inspiration, don't hesitate to mail me or reply to this message with the links. It would help me a lot fo realize the goal of having the site ready before the next album.

I would love to hear more comments about this topic, so keep the comments rolling, guys and gals :)

/// Morten
webmaster
Back to entries

Go to top of page